Planning a Funeral
Choices that Personalize a Funeral Service
You face numerous choices as you plan a funeral unique to your loved one. But with the assistance of Brainard Funeral Home, we can help make these choices an opportunity to honor the unique personality and life of the deceased individual.
- Final resting place. If your loved one has pre-determined his or her final resting place, we’ll assist you in making the final arrangements. In the event that a place has not been pre-determined, we will provide you with a variety of options – cemetery and vault locations or sites for scattering of the remains – and help you with the necessary procedures.
- Obituaries. You can opt to write your own obituary or select a paid obituary that provides a more detailed history of your loved one. In either case, our staff is available to assist you. Based upon your preferences, we will help you assemble the information you would like to include in the obituary and submit it to the media as well as our online obituary webpage. Submit an online obituary.
- Pertinent dates such as birth, death, marriage, and when the person moved to the area
- Church, civic club, and social group affiliations
- Occupational information
- Activities that define the life of your loved one – church, charity, volunteer activity or special cause
- Surviving family
- Funeral service details
- Choosing a casket or urn. This step has a great deal of meaning and is an important part of the grieving and healing process. Honor your loved one with a casket or urn that memorializes the individual.
- Pallbearers. You will need to select and contact six men or women whom you have chosen for this honor. Those unable to serve actively because of age or disability may participate as Honorary Pallbearers.
- Clothing and Jewelry. Our best advice – choose clothing that best represents the person you knew – perhaps a favorite suit, dress or item of clothing. There are no rules. It is one of the most personal and unique choices you can make and we are here to assist you. You will need to provide a set of undergarments, a pair of socks, and the attire you have chosen. Shoes are not necessary, but can be included. Jewelry worn may be removed and returned to the family prior to burial, entombment or cremation.
- Music. Music speaks to the heart and soul. You can select from our large music library – selections include religious, ethnic, contemporary, classical, pop, folk, and seasonal pieces. You may also choose to have live music provided by area musicians and soloists. Our staff Harpist Linda Cannon is available to provide music during the Visitation. Linda’s repertoire and sound bites can be found at www.cwiharp.com. Special music requests are welcome.
- Tribute DVD and Photo Collage. With photos provided by you, Brainard Funeral Home will create a DVD that pays tribute to your loved one. In addition to sharing life moments on DVD during the visitation, you may choose to display photo collages that honor your loved one. Brainard Funeral Home has easels available for your use.
Grieve loss, celebrate life. For more information, contact Brainard Funeral Home at 715.845.5525.